Monday, October 6, 2014

 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence...Psalm 91:2-3

 We have a death trap in our basement. We don't know how long it has been there. Now that I know it is there, I have a subconscious fear that it will invade our living room. There have been a lot of people in our basement the last couple weeks and no one saw it!

  The pest control inspector came out Friday to do our yearly inspection. While we were in the basement three yellow jackets were buzzing around our heads. I have a very healthy fear of yellow jackets so I promptly left the basement. The inspector said he would look for any holes in the wall that they might be traveling in through. I heard him holler, so I went to the door and asked him if he was alright. He said he was but also found the problem. He found the nest, approx. 2 ft. by 1 1/2 ft. How long does it take a swarm of yellow jackets to make a nest that size?

  How can you live so close to something like that and not know it was there? It is attached to the living room floor so you would have thought we would have heard some kind of buzzing noises.
How long till they would riddle their way into the living room.

As we have been working to get rid of the bees, it reminded me of how troubles come into our lives. Some come like the bees, we realize something is wrong, we can't remember when we first noticed the change but now we know we have a problem. Some troubles hit us like a brick, when we are least expecting it, all of a sudden our life has been turned upside down.

How do we handle the trials that come upon us? Are we like Job's wife in Job 2:9, "...curse God and die..."? or like Job himself, "though he slay me yet will I trust in him..." Job 13:15. My personal favorite is, "ignore it and it will go away". That was my first thought on dealing with the bees, then I remembered we have several children who are allergic to bee stings. Did I really want the bees hanging around in the basement?

When troubles overtake us do we feel that God has turned his back on us? Do we feel we are alone and have to deal with our troubles on our own strength?

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.  Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Ps 91:4-5

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

God hath not promised we shall not know
Toil and temptation , trouble and woe;
He hath not told us we shall not bear
Many a burden many a care.

God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain, rocky and steep,
Never a river, turbid and deep.

But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
  Unfailing sympathy, undying love.
                                         by Annie Johnson Flint 

No comments:

Post a Comment