Saturday, April 18, 2020

Branding Day 2020

Branding day 2020 will probably be remembered for a long time. Social distancing and the stay at home order put a damper on our preparations. Branding day is considered the social event of the year. Neighbors helping neighbors. Friends dropping in to watch...and then the camaraderie around the lunch table.

This year we had to limit the amount of people that attended. We had 9 people working at the different jobs, When a person or a horse got tired of roping, they would trade off with somebody else.
We had 5 people who knew how to rope, since we only needed three at a time, it was easy to trade off.

One of my sisters wanted me to video the event this year but I am not good at that type of thing. And I didn't prepare ahead so my camera card was full. I did get a few short clips. I would rather watch the cowboys swing their ropes...and miss..  :) ...than watch the actual branding.  Somebody left the calf, in this first clip, loose before they were finished with it, so several of the guys tried to rope it again.


The day was windy and cold as you can tell on these clips.





Once a a while the guy manning the nordfork would miss the calf's head so another rider would rope the calf's front legs.







It didn't take as long to brand 98 calves as they were anticipating. They were all finished by lunchtime.I didn't get pictures of how we practiced social distancing during lunch,  :)   but I found a couple pictures from our 2019 branding.



There is usually a lot of bantering taking place as the guys gang up on each other and share the mistakes that took place during the morning rush. Its also a time to catch up on the neighborhood hotline. Virus or no virus, branding day is for friends and family to work and fellowship together!

A week later we moved the cows and calves to their summer pastures. A few pictures I snapped of some contented cows!



No comments:

Post a Comment